Saturday, August 13, 2011

Prickly Pears

Nopales
Nopalera
Prickly pears
Sweet 'n Juicy
theydrawandcook.com
My favorite fruit right next to mangoes are the sweet & juicy prickly pears.
They're in season right now and I eat at least two every single day.
Manolo eats lots more than two, he's the fruit monster of the house.
I love to photograph and paint them too!
'Tunas' as they're called in Spanish are the fruits of the Opuntia or Nopal cactus.
You can read more about the fascinating paddle cactus here.
My little mariachi bird was featured in a tiny section of an article
of the September issue of Food & Wine magazine
about Nate & Salli's awesome site They Draw & Cook!

33 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

"Tiny section" :: BIG impact!
Your bird looks beautiful. Congratulations! Felicidades!

8/13/2011 9:40 AM  
Blogger tinajo said...

I have no clue what prickly pears are, but they look yummy! :-)

8/13/2011 9:52 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

Congratulations on the feature! I have never eating a prickly pear before but I do remember drinking prickly pear iced tea and loving it! Now I need to find some! :D

8/13/2011 9:53 AM  
Blogger Mustika Hayati said...

i like this blog

8/13/2011 9:54 AM  
Blogger Almu said...

Hola, Geninne, en España se llaman higos chumbos y la planta en donde crecen se llama chumbera. Hace años, en Almería quisimos probarlos, pero era complicado, hay que cogerlos con unas tenazas y usando guantes gruesos. Enhorabuena por tu mención en Food & Wine!!

8/13/2011 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geninne, love those photos of the prickly pears!
But how do you get the stickers off of them to
eat them? : P

Robin

8/13/2011 10:06 AM  
Blogger Northern Hi-Lights said...

have never eaten a prickly pear before (not too plentiful here in Scotland!) - what do they taste like?

8/13/2011 10:12 AM  
Anonymous wilme said...

These are my absolute favourite! We don't get them in Canada but growing up in South Africa I would eat a dozen in one sitting! This post made me miss home :( Enjoy one for me!

8/13/2011 11:01 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'd love to know how you prepare them for eating We have one in our front yard but I've been a bit timid about trying it. They sound so good though, I really want to give it a go.

8/13/2011 11:25 AM  
Blogger Jill Wignall said...

Geninne, I'm on holiday in Spain and surrounded by these sort of cacti and I keep thinking of you when I see them. All the plants here remind me of the plants you often show on your blog! They are so beautiful I spent an hour drawing one today. I will have to try the prickly pear, I keep seeing them growing everywhere here. x x

8/13/2011 11:27 AM  
Blogger Susana Castro Conti said...

Gennine, qué hermosas fotos! La primera me tiene enamorada, qué hermosos colores! La última no la puedo ver... no se qué pasa...
Besos! ♥

8/13/2011 1:06 PM  
Blogger Kaylovesvintage said...

looks good, not easy to find here

8/13/2011 1:16 PM  
Blogger Sue H @ Astrachic Studio said...

Hello, I have been admiring your artwork with interest for ages now and today I am visiting your lovely blog. What a treat! Thanks for being so talented and for sharing with us who are not so!!!!
xo Sue

8/13/2011 3:36 PM  
Anonymous passifleur said...

Hello geninne, this photos of cactus with nuances green and pink are magnificent.we don't find this fruit in france i'm really curious about his taste!
thanks for your post all the days
and bisou for turbo

8/13/2011 5:51 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

I love prickly pear! I made jelly a couple of years ago and it was so good. We've been picking prickly pear for our tortoise. It's his favorite too!

8/13/2011 6:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah Knight said...

Wow, that's a lot of succulents!

8/14/2011 4:58 AM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

I had some of these when I was in Morocco.Delicious!

8/14/2011 5:50 AM  
Blogger Ckphotoprops said...

I tried Prickly pear when we visited the Grand Canyon. Just picked one ( carefully) and tasted it.
Truly wasn't bad.

Tried to grow it in my garden ( Ontario, Canada). It only lasted a few winters and never thrived.

crys

8/14/2011 6:04 AM  
Blogger Tabuena arts central said...

Love the cactus!

8/14/2011 8:11 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

La unica vez que comí tunas fue en Andalucia y las amé con pasión desenfrenada. Las vendían en la calle, sobre bandejas de hielo picado así que estaban super frías para calmar el calor del verano.
Que rico! Tus fotos me hicieron salivar como el perrito de Pavlov.

8/14/2011 10:56 AM  
Blogger Artifice said...

What do prickly pears taste like? I followed your link but they didn't describe the taste.

Linda

8/14/2011 12:29 PM  
Blogger Margie Oomen said...

yum

8/14/2011 3:15 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thank you Genine, I am in Australia where Prickly pears grow like pests once they are planted. In the house behind us Italian gardener planted the prickly pears. I have tried the fruit and loved it but generally see them as pests because they grow to about 8 foot tall and the paddles fall off and in our back yard. Then I worry about the grandchildren standing on them. You have given me a new apreciation of the plant in it's native environment ... I will look on them more fondly in future.

8/14/2011 3:37 PM  
Anonymous TallerPisimun said...

esta es la primera fruta que comí cuando llegué a Chile, se llama TUNA, y me encanta!como le llaman en Mexico?Preciosa la ilustración con la receta!

8/14/2011 4:14 PM  
Blogger Belén said...

me encantan los cactus y se ve delicioso

8/15/2011 5:55 AM  
Anonymous heather said...

THis looks yummy! Not sure if you know, but there is a little blurb in the "Food & Wine" magazine about you - and this Salsa Verde. :)

8/15/2011 6:39 AM  
Blogger arounna said...

thanks for the recipe -yummm

8/15/2011 7:48 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

Being a native Californian living in the PNW I really miss this cactus! I loved picking my own Prickly Pears as we called them. They were so sweet and juicy! I miss them! I miss eating nopalitos! I guess I will have to search for a jar. I am sure fresh is better! I wish I could grow that cactus up here! Thanks for sharing. BTW, your art and blog are wonderful and your son is an amazing young artist!

8/15/2011 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Ana Gonzalez said...

Que buenos, aunque no se pueden comer muchos porque dan extreñimiento. Aqui en Canarias les llamamos tunos y en España en general se le llama higos chumbos, y a la planta Chumbera.

8/16/2011 2:22 AM  
Blogger May Bell said...

Your blog is beautiful!

8/16/2011 2:09 PM  
Anonymous dorit elisha said...

These fruit are also called "sabra" or "sabres" and they are the symbol of the children in the country of Israel (which is where I am from.
Your Israel looks like a beautiful boy and I know he is very talented as well! Congrats to him!

8/16/2011 3:25 PM  
Blogger coty said...

ESAS SON RICAS TUNAS!!!!

8/17/2011 6:00 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Thank you so much, again and again. So inspiring.
My Ethiopian daughter love kookal, and roll them about on the group to get rid of the prickles. Ours here in Australia seem to be much redder than yours.

8/26/2011 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home