Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Sketchbook Project update

Sketchbook Project cover
Sketchbook Project Page 1
Sketchbook Project Page 2
Sketchbook Project Page 3
Remember I told you I would be participating in the Sketchbook Project back in July?
Well, my sketchbook got lost when we moved to the new house and I hadn't found it until last week. I remembered I had put it away somewhere safe
...so safe I couldn't find it afterward!
I was looking for Turbo's vaccination card in the folder where I keep all of our important family documents and there it was!
I've only got about a month to fill it out so I plan to do three or four pages every day until the January deadline. I'll be sharing it with you guys of course :)
My theme is: In Flight
The Sketchbook pages are very thin so I won't be using watercolors.
I opted for simple pencil drawings ,hand carved stamps
and some details with white acrylic ink.

43 Lovely Comments:

Blogger cara livermore said...

hey, cool! i'm doing the sketchbook project as well, my theme is "the greatest story ever told"

same as you, i still have a ton to do with about a month left.

i look forward to seeing yours updated!!

12/07/2010 2:07 PM  
Blogger Janet Ghio said...

What a treasure your book will be! I did the project last year. Good luck getting it finished.

12/07/2010 2:13 PM  
Blogger maventheavenger aka jamie said...

oh dear...i haven't even started mine. eek!

12/07/2010 2:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Beautiful drawings! I think your choice of media works very well. I'm working hard to finish mine too, but I don't have the excuse of having lost the sketchbook. Good luck!

12/07/2010 2:17 PM  
Blogger Dyche Designs said...

Wow, yours looks great. I also chose 'in flight' but am really struggling to pull something together. I'm so used to working with texture on canvas that I'm finding it really hard working in the moleskine, especially as I can't draw. :0)

12/07/2010 2:17 PM  
Blogger studioto said...

just found out about your works and they are really wonderful, will keep follow u

12/07/2010 2:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ha ha... the dreaded "I put it in a safe place"! I know it all too well! So glad you found it... I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with it!

12/07/2010 2:31 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

This is soooo beautiful! You have inspired me to start my own :D

12/07/2010 2:36 PM  
Blogger Jennevieve said...

haha, I am doing "In Flight" as well and I moved mine to a safe spot too when I was doing some cleaning and now I cannot find mine! Thanks for reminding me. Although I think yours will end up a little nicer than mine!

12/07/2010 2:40 PM  
Blogger Pececito arcoiris said...

Es una maravilla, ojalá supiera dibujar, cada vez que entro por aquí me da una envidia terrible!!!
Qué cosas tan lindas salen de tus manos!

12/07/2010 2:59 PM  
Blogger se7en said...

Who can be worried about Christmas looming when they have a whole sketchbook to fill in!!! I saw this on your blog and thought it would be such a cool project. It is. And we have carried our notebook everywhere... on holiday, to the beach, up the mountain... on every outing... needless to say I can't stand to make the first mark in it!!! And so it remains empty... EMPTY!!! Our theme is everyday and by the looks of our book we do literally nothing all day... I just am just too terrified to start!!!

12/07/2010 3:25 PM  
Blogger Fine Lines said...

I finished mine last week and just have to get an envelope to mail it in now -- what a relief!! My topic is "it's raining dogs and cats". I found the pages quite thin, too, but still tried a bit of watercolor - very lightly. This was the first time I participated in the project and I learned a lot about how I might do it differently next year!!
I love the delicacy of your drawings!

12/07/2010 4:51 PM  
Blogger Taller Nayra Ampara said...

te esta quedando un trabajo muy hermoso y prolijo, ya espero verlo terminado, te puedo preguntar ¿como uno puede participar y como se desarrolla el proyecto en si?, Saludos desde Chile, Jeannette.

12/07/2010 5:00 PM  
Blogger Galit said...

These are great Geninne!! Looking forward to see more!
I'm so behind schedule in my sketchbook project. I somehow not very inspired by my theme although I was very excited about it at the beginning (Dirigibles & Submersibles)


P.S. In order to use water colors I painted on other paper and glued it (or parts of it) for creating extra textures and interest. Maybe that can work for you too?

12/07/2010 5:26 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

That is beautiful! I love the contrast of the pencil drawings and the color stamping.

12/07/2010 5:38 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

It's beautiful...

12/07/2010 5:40 PM  
Blogger Kristen Donegan said...

Wow yours looks great! I know what you mean about the paper, I've had to sew a few pages back into mine as they keep falling out. I got a day in the life- will be interesting to see how it all turns out! :)

12/07/2010 5:53 PM  
Blogger Luisa said...

oh how beautiful.

12/07/2010 7:21 PM  
Blogger Carlene said...

So lovely, there really is nothing like a pencil drawing. I always love seeing artists' sketches before they apply the paint, so I'm happy to see this!

12/07/2010 7:50 PM  
Blogger Ludid said...

i missed the entry deadline this year, but i will enjoy the process through yours. one of a kind for sure.

12/07/2010 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Jutta said...

Your post reminded me I still haven't found my sketchbook. We are renovating the house so things are constantly moved from one place to another. Hmm, maybe it's still not too late.

12/07/2010 10:38 PM  
Blogger Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Absolutely beautiful!

12/08/2010 12:48 AM  
Blogger Jason Morgan said...

What a great idea!

Jason
Fellow artist (wildlife)

12/08/2010 3:41 AM  
Blogger PABLO ACOSTA said...

Me alegro muchisimo! Animo y mucha energía para terminarlo¡¡

12/08/2010 3:49 AM  
Blogger Cindy Michaud said...

Please, please, more info on how to participate next year, apparently I missed something very cool. Love the book, love your work and want the challenge. Controlled whimsy....neat. Thanks for the show and tell....more, more, more

12/08/2010 4:47 AM  
Anonymous Adamandia K. said...

Love your fish-y stamp! and the coral tree stamp too!

12/08/2010 5:19 AM  
Blogger Sherri Cassara said...

What a gift to find something you thought you had lost!

12/08/2010 7:56 AM  
Blogger dls said...

Glad you found it..... looking forward to seeing your progression.

12/08/2010 8:09 AM  
Blogger Dolores said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

12/08/2010 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is so terrible compared to this!

12/08/2010 8:53 AM  
Blogger kt_kthx said...

I LOVE it. Can't wait to see it in Portland, Maine at the SPACE gallery mixed in with my friends, colleagues, professors, and MINE! How cool is that!

12/08/2010 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Colleen @ 365lessthings.com said...

Lovely as usual. I particularly like that Japanese Wave design in the ship scene. It must take real patients to draw all that.

12/08/2010 1:42 PM  
Blogger Pretty Things said...

Oh my word! That is divine!

12/08/2010 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Dianne said...

I'm doing this project as well! Yours is genius. I have strayed far from my 'if you lived here...' theme and instead its just full of owls. No relevance at all!!!

12/09/2010 2:24 AM  
Blogger Luna said...

It's a good thing that you managed to find it! Your sketchbook is really precious!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing your progression.

12/09/2010 3:49 AM  
Blogger Flowtops said...

Just the right kind of paper for stamps, isn't it? I chose to substitute with thick watercolor paper. I thought that would mean less work (less pages), but still... Not quite finished yet!

12/09/2010 5:46 AM  
Blogger Liv said...

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Your stamps are amazing, such a great attention to detail.

12/09/2010 9:10 AM  
Blogger Sallie Kate said...

I like how the regal ship shows through on both pages--I wonder if it was intentional. Yours really tells a story with all your beautiful critters :)

12/09/2010 10:31 AM  
Blogger Cally said...

I'm glad you found it, this is going to be a beautiful sketchbook!

12/11/2010 11:42 AM  
Blogger Katihleen said...

I love your new pic. that new layout is so pretty. i like your beautiful birds. oh by the way, i joined sparkpeople because you inspired me to do something!

12/13/2010 3:33 AM  
Anonymous Alissa said...

lovely pages and I like the simplicity of the stamps and colours . If I ever get to New Yrok I will look this on up.
I did The View From up Here , with coloured pencils and watercolour pencils

12/13/2010 3:53 PM  
Blogger musing in istanbul said...

Wonderful sketches! Congratulations! It is a great pleasure to look at them :) Thank you :)

12/14/2010 4:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Dear Genine,
My family took the train to Atlanta yesterday to see the Sketchbook Project in person. I was all prepared to have a fangirl moment and actually hold your work in my hands, but it was nowhere to be found! We looked under Genine's Art Blog, Genine Zlatkis...nothing. I wonder what happened? I still enjoyed seeing the photos on here! You were my inspiration to do a Sketchbook Project of my own. :)

4/09/2011 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home