Friday, May 07, 2010

Tea Party

Sundry Persons
I was inspired this morning to do a little experiment
and printed an old ledger page image onto a sheet of beautiful handmade Twinrocker paper & then used tea to dye it before painting this bird with the flowers.
I recently treated myself to a new watercolor set!
I got a Schmincke Horadam Aquarell set with 48 half pans
and I've been so inspired by my new color palette.
I had been using the same Cotman tubes for 15 years
and it was really great to make a change.

Tea, watercolor & acrylic ink on paper. 6" x 8"

46 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Cynthia Nicole said...

Inspired indeed!

5/07/2010 1:28 PM  
Blogger Pececito arcoiris said...

Really nice, as all your work...I ver know what words to use when I open your blog!!!!

Quizá en castellano me salgan... simplemente maravilloso, como siempre, Geninne. Es una maravilla ver tus obras, igual que los brotes en primavera. Gracias.

5/07/2010 1:39 PM  
Blogger Škorčica said...

How beautiful combination!

5/07/2010 1:49 PM  
Blogger Tina Eudora said...

Just beautiful, the ledger page Is just the thing!

5/07/2010 1:57 PM  
Blogger Marthann's Musings said...

Very special and inventive. Your work is always so interesting.

5/07/2010 2:25 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

You have such wonderful ideas! Your new painting is lovely!

5/07/2010 2:45 PM  
Blogger Joyce at Calico Paint said...

All I can say is "Wow!"

5/07/2010 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Tina Burke said...

Such a beautiful experiment! And I bet you'll LOVE working with the Schminke - they have such beautiful and intense colours. It would be interesting to hear what you think of them.

5/07/2010 4:02 PM  
Blogger Jaz said...

Amazingly pretty. I'm so glad u felt inspired to paint this! Love the new paints too x

5/07/2010 4:18 PM  
Blogger Sue K said...

I love what you have done with this piece! The tea stained document, the new colors and I especially love the way the writing shows through the transparent paint. Your work SO inspires me!! Thanks for sharing.
hugs, Sue K

5/07/2010 4:33 PM  
Blogger blue china studio said...

Gorgeous! I love how the old ledger writing looks in the background. And I really like that maroon shade flower in the middle. Beautiful!

5/07/2010 4:40 PM  
Blogger Lolli072 said...

AMAZING! I have always wanted to try using tea to create an aged affect on paper. Did you soak it completely? How long did you leave the tea in? And what kind of tea did you use? Haha! Sorry for the 20 questions, I am just ever so curious. :-P

5/07/2010 4:41 PM  
Anonymous America Jane said...

LOVE it!!

5/07/2010 4:58 PM  
Blogger Laura Marcella said...

Gorgeous! I especially like the orange flower. :)

Have fun with your new paints! I love getting new pens, pencils, and notebooks. :)

5/07/2010 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Lovely World said...

You made the paper very convincing. So nice to get new paints. Enjoy your weekend.

5/07/2010 6:25 PM  
Blogger donna!ee said...

this is the most absolutely beautiful combination! thank you much for sharing ... ;)

5/07/2010 6:57 PM  
Blogger the same fish said...

Just gorgeous!

5/07/2010 7:26 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Beautiful! I've been wondering for a while what type of printer and inks you use: I couldn't find this in your faq section: perhaps there's a post you've already done on this that I could check out? Thanks! Brooke

5/07/2010 9:15 PM  
Blogger CraftyCripple said...

I normally lurk and adore your art. But I love this so much I had to tell you hove much I adore your work. It's so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

5/08/2010 1:51 AM  
Blogger Jacky said...

Beautiful depth of colour in your new paints... looove schminke!
The tea dyed ledger paper makes a wonderful background.

5/08/2010 4:00 AM  
Blogger Georgia said...

I love the effect of the page behind. I love to paint directly onto old book pages. Isn't amazing how starting with different colours can make such a difference. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

5/08/2010 5:27 AM  
Blogger Jane Farr said...

This is my kind of tea party! Lovely!! Come to Indiana and we can tour Twinrocker together. :)

5/08/2010 5:49 AM  
Blogger Loose Sparrow Arts N Crafts said...

I have a bird phobia, so I don't understand why I love each and every painting you do so much. Maybe you are curing me! I even want to try to paint a bird

5/08/2010 8:44 AM  
Blogger Estivalia said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog. I love your bird illustrations :) Your video-tutorial are also amazing, thanks for posting them.

And checking up old posts looks like you have relatives in Chile. Cool! I'm from Antofagasta :)

5/08/2010 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the antique-y look with the ledger and tea stained paper and your beautiful birds. I would love to have more art like in my house.
Just beautiful.

5/08/2010 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Javacurls said...

Absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing the Tea Party in your Etsy shop. ;)

5/08/2010 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Liane at PrairieGarden said...

This is beautiful!

Congrats on the new palette, fun, fun!

5/08/2010 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Crooked Beak said...

Wonderful!

5/08/2010 6:13 PM  
Blogger Lau Gariglio said...

bellisimo !!!!

5/09/2010 2:57 AM  
Blogger fabrik-BILDschön said...

beautiful as always!

greetings from germany
mnh

5/09/2010 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Geninne:

¡Qué bien queda lo del papel manuscrito de fondo! Y el dibujo es precioso, de verdad.

¡Disfruta de tus nuevas acuarelas y que todo te vaya muy bien!

Helena,
en Santander, España.

5/09/2010 1:49 PM  
Blogger Gloria Freshley said...

This is truly lovely! Love the flora and the bird. Love the transparency of the washes with beautiful writing showing through.(Love the crossword book cover, too!) Thanks Geninne!

5/09/2010 7:32 PM  
Blogger geramyum said...

Just love your work. Almost finished with my version of your birdie embroidery pattern - just love it. Thanks for sharing your work... you heart
Amy

5/09/2010 9:02 PM  
Blogger Chloe' said...

Absolutely Beautiful!! (^_^) your bird looks alive with colour x

5/10/2010 3:07 AM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Geninne, it has been forever since I've stopped by. Look at you now!!
I always knew you'd do great things. Wow, your latest work is amazing! I adore the elephant in the room, too ;)

I remember seeing your header on someone elses blog and how much it bothered me that she was copying you and using your art.
You are one in a million!

Congrats on all of your successes. You deserve every one ;)

♥ Lolo ♥

5/10/2010 6:46 PM  
Blogger laura said...

You are so talented it blows my mind! This piece is so beautiful!

5/11/2010 12:21 PM  
OpenID Leni said...

inspiring

5/11/2010 2:15 PM  
Anonymous kimberly shaw said...

It's gorgeous! And congratulations on the book covers, they look great!

5/11/2010 10:32 PM  
Blogger Chasing Purple Dreams said...

Schmincke’s divine colour range and spectacular products certainly are inspiring aren’t they? I use there oils and pastels and nothing else compares. The colour in this piece really jumps out and I love the experimental background.

5/12/2010 12:10 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

this is beautiful! and gosh i love your blog, it's so dang pretty.

5/12/2010 12:18 PM  
Blogger Bird on Wire Studio said...

Hello,

I adore your blog and your art work! I found you through a couple of different blogs that I follow and I'm so pleased to catch up on all of your beautiful works.

hooray!

Keep smiling,
Abby

5/12/2010 1:30 PM  
Blogger Sofiah said...

I've been a silent reader for a couple of weeks -even months.
I take the chance today to leave a small comment : the tea gives a beautiful colour.. I may try it myself too.

Thanks for Inspiration.

5/13/2010 3:24 AM  
Anonymous Tidepools Jewelry said...

I love your artwork! Gorgeous! Hope to own one someday.

5/15/2010 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Lace said...

Just wanted to let you know that I really admire you & your blog.

Keep up the lovely paintings, you are a truely talented woman.

5/15/2010 11:40 AM  
Blogger donna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5/17/2010 8:29 AM  
Blogger SKIZO said...

WOW
Fabulous
good
creations

6/03/2010 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home