Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Process

1
I thought I'd share the step by step process of painting
the watercolor vermilion flycatcher with you today.
I used a 6" x 8" sheet of beautiful handmade Twinrocker paper.
2
3
4
5
6
7
After scanning it I cut out the sky with Photoshop
and loved how it looked without the dark blue background.
With or without?
Now I'm not so sure which one I like more so I thought I'd ask you guys.
With or without the blue sky?



Stack of Birds print
He will be available at my Etsy shop later this week with a couple of new prints.

73 Lovely Comments:

Blogger Poorvi said...

So very pretty! I do like the one without the blue sky.

4/13/2010 10:38 AM  
Blogger mc said...

Geninne, mi papa era pintor, y su mesa de trabajo era un desastre. Tenia manchas de pintura por todas partes, dibujos a medio terminar, lapices con la punta rota, etc. Me maravilla ver la forma tan limpia y ordenada en que trabajas.
Como siempre, tus pajaros son bellisimos.

4/13/2010 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Amanda Nicole said...

It's a toughie! I love the clean look of the white, but the sparkly little stars on the dark blue are lovely... Ok, I'll vote night sky :)

4/13/2010 10:48 AM  
Blogger Lorelei said...

i adore your blog.
your paintings make my heart sing.
thanks for sharing your work!!
I love the sky when it's blue... the little white accents totally make it pop!

4/13/2010 11:03 AM  
Blogger Snappy Di said...

I prefer without the blue sky. It's cheerier... not so foreboding.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

4/13/2010 11:11 AM  
Blogger sjp8987 said...

I love this art!!! I actually like it better on just white... or maybe an off white

4/13/2010 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Tina Burke said...

Hi Geninne, I always love visiting your blog - this is gorgeous! I chose the one without the night sky - it makes the beautiful black and red bird pop out!

4/13/2010 11:30 AM  
Blogger Clara said...

Lovely! such a bright red... and i love the way you paint the stars. Well, everything actually.

4/13/2010 11:32 AM  
Blogger chum said...

i think the wings and beak are more distinct in the version without the darker background.
also wanted to say i loooooove posts that show process.

4/13/2010 11:33 AM  
Blogger Vicki Holdwick said...

Geninne,

First of all thank you for sharing your art. I really love what you do.

Do I have to choose a favorite? I like the white background for the simplicity, but also like the sky background for the drama.

xoxo

4/13/2010 11:41 AM  
Blogger Andi said...

Lovely birdie! I really like the dark sky, but I think in this case it looks better without it.

4/13/2010 11:45 AM  
Blogger Lau Gariglio said...

Geninne aca en tu blog se ven más lindos que en flickr, poque se ven más grandes ! me encantan !!!!

ahora me voy rapido a hacerme fans tuya en facebook !!

un abrazo grande !!

4/13/2010 11:55 AM  
Anonymous vadjutka said...

Thanks for sharing your process, I really enjoyed it!

4/13/2010 12:57 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

this is so magical- THANK YOU for sharing the process!

4/13/2010 1:12 PM  
Anonymous linda said...

I totally love both versions, they give a very different feel! Thanks for showing the process...it's nice to see it all in action!

4/13/2010 1:22 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

I love how you post your work process. It makes me realize I really need to learn photoshop! It's amazing how you can make such quick changes. Love your work!
Elisabeth

4/13/2010 1:32 PM  
Blogger Feather said...

that was really fun to see your process. i truly appreciated it. i always admire your bird paintings. they are so delicate and lovely. perfection at it's finest! i tried to vote to no avail...i go for the white background. it's so vivid and full of contrast!

4/13/2010 1:33 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thankyou for sharing the process - so fascinating.
I love the night sky, but I think the bird does stand out better against the light background.

So clever that you can paint it one way and then adapt it another. How cool is that? :-)

4/13/2010 1:37 PM  
Blogger kt_kthx said...

I voted 'without' because the dark blues drown out the darks in the bird's wings, and also the bright and warm colors you used in the bird and the cactus don't seem like night-time colors, I'd go with a yellow or sandy background instead if anything!

Nicely done, it was fun to see your process!

4/13/2010 1:38 PM  
Blogger Kimmie said...

I love how the colors pop on the white background - it looks so crisp and clean. You make it all look so easy peasy! thanks for sharing your process!

4/13/2010 1:39 PM  
Blogger 32˙North said...

I like it without the night sky BUT... the accents you added o the sky are super neat.

4/13/2010 1:55 PM  
Blogger chia said...

the light background! it looks sweeter that way. love your art!!! how did you get started drawing birds?

4/13/2010 1:57 PM  
Blogger ale said...

queeeee lindooooooooo!!!!!!!!besos geninne!!!!
un placer el proceso de pintar!!!!!ahhhhhhh!!!!

4/13/2010 2:54 PM  
Blogger christinecho said...

nice to meet you
Come back very soon

4/13/2010 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Talia said...

Wow, so lovely! I really like the night sky. :-D

4/13/2010 5:00 PM  
Blogger Nakki said...

What did you use to put white in the final print? Or was that done in photoshop?

4/13/2010 6:41 PM  
Blogger Carlene said...

Hmm...it looks like your printer pulled the blue ink through the other colors, is that right? Because the cactus looks like a darker blue in the night sky print.

So...

I guess I like the more pronounced colors of the night sky print, but with a white background.

Unless it's just an optical illusion, then I like 'em both.

:)

4/13/2010 6:47 PM  
Blogger gwen said...

Seeing your process is very helpful, thank you! I'm taking a painting class this term, it is my first and the instructor does not instruct very much.

4/13/2010 7:20 PM  
Blogger Megan V said...

I can't choose either. They're BOTH so beautiful. I'd even hang them right next to each other! Day and night bird! you amaze me every time!!!!!

4/13/2010 7:40 PM  
Anonymous v.xo said...

I love the process pictures. I prefer on the white background because the flowers being open occur in daylight and they close tight at night.

I do love the deep navy colour that you use for the night sky

xo

4/13/2010 8:12 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

Happened upon your blog for the first time today and it's so fun!Love your art and photos. I'll be back!

4/13/2010 8:25 PM  
Anonymous blogaloor girl said...

without the blue background seems more like your style as seen on your beautiful blog-- very very pretty..

4/14/2010 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Rambles with Reese said...

These are so lovely and it's so cool that you took the time to show us your process.

I love both with or without the sky. For me, I prefer the sky for cards/postcards, but without the sky for a larger print.

Truly enjoyed reading this post!

4/14/2010 1:27 AM  
Blogger life in yonder said...

I love them both Geninne. The white one has a clean look to it, the dark one has a mistious look to it...perhaps some magic.

4/14/2010 2:13 AM  
Anonymous Dianne said...

I love this, its inspired me to try watercolours after years of painting only in oils, can you give me any tips on what brand you use? they work so well I love it!

4/14/2010 2:40 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I have just found you thanks to Jacky at Art For Moi and I am so grateful!!! I adore your blog!! Youa re a fabulous and so genreous artist and your watercolor above has inspired me to have another go at watercolors. Jacky has told me that you carve wonderfuls tamps so I am off to see if I can spot some!!! I will be back!
Art On!!!!
So NICE TO MEET you!!!!
Elizabeth

4/14/2010 4:40 AM  
Blogger the vintage wren said...

Geninne, I love both prints, I guess it kinda depends on your decor, and what you are using them for. The one with the night sky is very striking, but the bird pops on the white background. I so love your style, and creativity, you are very inspiring....everything you do is so peaceful and of course natural.

4/14/2010 4:44 AM  
Blogger Dana Barbieri said...

I think I am in the minority. I love the blue sky! And I wish I could just jump into your photos!

4/14/2010 5:36 AM  
Anonymous liz said...

The pretty details stand out more with the night sky! you should keep it

4/14/2010 6:27 AM  
Blogger Pink Velvet Bird said...

Go dark! :)

4/14/2010 7:30 AM  
Blogger holly said...

so moody with the sky....love the detail of the ink.

4/14/2010 7:37 AM  
OpenID airynothings.com said...

I love your birdies so much. I mentioned your site in a new blog post.

http://airynothings.com/2010/04/14/why-i-love-birds/

4/14/2010 8:28 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Thank you for sharing your process with us! I love your flycatcher!

4/14/2010 9:17 AM  
Blogger Silvana Aisemberg said...

Cómo puede ser TAN HERMOSO lo que hacés?. Me maravilla tu talento!
Besos desde Buenos Aires

4/14/2010 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Liane at PrairieGarden said...

Thank you so much for sharing your process!

While I love the richness of the blue background, I feel the wonderful details of the bird stand out better without the color background.

4/14/2010 10:56 AM  
Blogger amba said...

Prefiero sin cielo.
un día me gustaría comprar uno de tus trabajos!

4/14/2010 12:14 PM  
Anonymous robyn said...

lovely, lovely, lovely. Thank you so much for sharing your process pictures. I wish your paintings were what my dreams were made of.

4/14/2010 1:33 PM  
Blogger LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Thank you so much Geninne for sharing your step by step instructions. Lovely paintings.

4/14/2010 3:26 PM  
Blogger ArtistaStyle said...

Hi Gennine,
I love this beautiful work of yours and the original dark blue background is definitely my favorite. Have you considered incorporating the original sculpted edges of the paper in the print version? It really completes the overall design for me. As a lot of people have also commented, i love the stars. You are an inspiration to me and i love reading your blog.

4/14/2010 4:44 PM  
Anonymous America Jane said...

Thanks for sharing your process with us. It was so interesting! I've been enjoying following your blog and seeing your lovely artwork.

4/14/2010 5:55 PM  
Blogger andrea the pomegranates said...

absolutely breathtaking and thank you for showing step by step. wonderful...

4/14/2010 8:05 PM  
Anonymous pop art said...

this is superb , but please tell me that do you sell these, if yes then from where can i buy ?

4/15/2010 1:22 AM  
Blogger Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Great job!

4/15/2010 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Geninne:

He estado una temporada en la que no he podido pasarme por tu blog por falta de tiempo y lo he echado mucho de menos. Ahora que he podido visitarlo otra vez, me he encontrado con un montón de post llenos de cosas lindas y tus hermosos dibujos. Me has alegrado el día. ¡¡¡Muchísimas gracias!!!

¡Ah! Y me encanta ver el proceso de la acuarela paso a paso; ¡Es tan interesante! (¿Cómo consigues, además, pintar de una forma tan pulcra y sin que una sola gota caiga en el escritorio?).

Mil gracias por seguir compartiendo tu trabajo y que te vaya todo muy bien.

Helena,
en Santander, España.

4/15/2010 6:51 AM  
Blogger rachel awes said...

i just discovered your blog & am gaga about your creations! your colors & lines are gorgeous!!
i am tickled pink (& blue & orange & rainbows) by your beauty. xox

4/15/2010 6:55 AM  
Blogger BlackSunshine said...

I love them both, though you can see the bird better without the night sky. How long does it take you to draw and then paint one of your pieces?

4/15/2010 12:04 PM  
Blogger Jacky said...

I love them both...the one with the blue night sky is lovely and moody, but also love the crispness of the white background...what a dilemma for you.
Was great to be able to watch your process and I love the prickly pear. Beautiful colours.

Jacky xox

4/15/2010 3:28 PM  
Blogger 100%HEPPIE said...

First...I like all of your work ! You inspired me to carve stamps.
I'm visiting your site for a while. I love it !
My choise is the one without de blue sky.
Have a nice day en good luck with your choice !

4/16/2010 3:50 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

Beautiful, beautiful. And thanks for sharing your process above-- always fascinating!

4/16/2010 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Jenny M said...

That is so beautiful!
It´s so generous of you to share your process. Absolutely stunning art.

4/16/2010 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Randi said...

I'm late to the request but I like them both. However, without the sky, it seems like something is missing but with it, it seems sort of dark and forboding. Might there be a compromise? I love all your paintings!

4/16/2010 2:49 PM  
Blogger SallieKate said...

Wow, your work and your blog is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your talent :)
SallieKate

4/16/2010 5:53 PM  
Blogger charrow said...

There is something so wonderful about the white negative space you created and I think the breathing space is important.
The night sky is a beautiful element you should use elsewhere and have your elements within that composition be much lighter even white to help distinguish the area of focus from the background.

either way really beautiful.

4/18/2010 7:10 AM  
Anonymous My18stripes said...

Wonderful wonderful artwork...

4/18/2010 12:55 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

My boys and I just completed following your process and made pictures of our own. A success! But on the last step, you added white bristles. We are thinking this is not done with a paint brush as it is so fine, and I see a pen and a white bottle in the pictures. What shall we use to make the bristles and details on the wings?

4/19/2010 2:39 PM  
Blogger Diana Sudyka said...

Interesting brushes you are using, Geninne. What kind of bristle are they? Synthetic? Looks lovely!

4/19/2010 6:22 PM  
Blogger monkeyandsquirrel said...

they're both so adorable... it was very hard to decide. i think i love the blue background just a hint more :)

4/20/2010 6:50 AM  
Anonymous nath said...

I love your blog. So inspiring!

4/24/2010 5:19 AM  
Blogger Studio Sylvia said...

Wonderful. Love the palette.

4/28/2010 5:54 AM  
OpenID tiffanyandink said...

I love your work, in fact I just bought your peacock print on etsy. I've been a fan for a long time. I love both pieces, personally.

Can I ask you a Photoshop question? What did you use to cut away the night sky? I'm hung up on the easiest or fastest way to do this. Can you offer some help?

5/11/2010 12:05 PM  
Blogger britto said...

Wow, I was fortunate to stumble on this page when I was looking for some info on Yahoo! Keep up the great writing!


Romero Britto

11/11/2011 5:29 AM  
Blogger fatchan nudin said...

They way these feathered friends and fantastic fungi appear on the paper, it is as though they were waiting for your hand to reveal them. See how they all have their attention on you, Geninne?
ciri crystal x
efek samping crystal x
cara pemesanan crystal x
crystal x asli
I think you mean Portsea! :)

7/21/2014 12:06 AM  
Blogger fatchan nudin said...

you are so very talented. i love how you take your inspiration and transform it into a piece of art. i am always so inspired when i look at your blog. visit my blog
moreskin and herbastamin or royal jelly more enbepe
This was the first place that told me the answer. Thanks.

7/21/2014 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home